Requesting Access to Information held by Public Bodies (ATIPP)


Requesting Access to Information held by Public Bodies (ATIPP)

What you'll get:

The Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act gives individuals a legal right to request access to information held by Northwest Territories public bodies.

Who delivers it:
Justice GNWT Access and Privacy Office
Who it is for:
Businesses, Individuals, Organizations
Who to contact:
Manager, GNWT Access and Privacy Office
Phone: 1-867-767-9256
Fax: 1-867-920-8670
How to get more info:
Phone FaxWebsite MailE-mail In-Person
How to get the service:
Phone Fax Mail In-Person
Staff available in:
Fort Simpson, Fort Smith, Hay River, Inuvik, Yellowknife

Note: Staff travel to communities where no resident staff exist.

Additional Info:

The legislation also provides for the correction and protection of personal information collected, used and disclosed by public bodies. It gives the individuals the right to access and correct their personal information. It also sets the conditions for when a public body may collect, use and disclose personal information.

To request access to information held by public bodies, please follow these steps:

- Consult the Access and Privacy Directory on our website to determine the public body to which your access request should be directed.
- Identify the information that you want to access. Be as specific as possible. If you are not sure what records you want to access, contact the Access and Privacy Coordinator or contact of the appropriate public body for assistance.
- Provide your name, address, and a telephone number where the Coordinator can contact you with any questions about the request.
- Sign the request form or letter.
- Send the completed request form or letter and the initial fee (if required) to the Coordinator of the public body most likely to have the information. The mailing address is given in the Directory.

Each GNWT Department has their own Access and Privacy Coordinator; please consult the "Access and Privacy Directory" on our website for more information

Was this helpful?