Paying/Receiving Spousal Support


Paying/Receiving Spousal Support

What you'll get:

The federal Divorce Act sets out the spousal support rules for married couples who divorce.

Who delivers it:
Justice Maintenance Enforcement Program
Who it is for:
Who to contact:
Phone: 1-867-767-9258 / 1-800-661-0798
Fax: 1-867-873-0106
How to get more info:
Phone FaxWebsite MailE-mail In-Person
How to get the service:
Phone FaxWebsite MailE-mail In-Person
Staff available in:

Additional Info:

Since the Divorce Act is a federal law, the rules apply across Canada. Territorial laws set out the rules for unmarried couples who were in a common-law relationship and for married couples who separate but who are not divorcing.

To register, either the creditor or debtor must submit a completed registration package along with a court order or agreement outlining that support is owing. Registration packages can be mailed out by the Maintenance Enforcement Program upon request, can be picked up at the office in Yellowknife, or may be accessed on the Program's website. A copy of your court order can be obtained from the courthouse.

Office Hours: 9:00am-4:00pm (including lunch hour)

The Maintenance Enforcement Program is not just for situations where maintenance is not being paid. Many people enroll with us simply because it's easier to have us collect and track their payments.

The Maintenance Enforcement Program cannot guarantee the collection of funds, nor their regularity.

Was this helpful?