Protection Order


Protection Order

What you'll get:

The Protection Against Family Violence Act can help victims in situations where there is family violence but no immediate danger. You can get this help by applying for a protection order.

Who delivers it:
Justice Community Justice and Policing Note: This service is delivered by
Who it is for:
Who to contact:
Manager, NWT Victim Services
Phone: 1-867-767-9261
Fax: 1-867-873-0199
How to get more info:
Phone Fax MailE-mail In-Person
How to get the service:
Staff available in:
Behchoko, Fort Good Hope, Fort Simpson, Fort Smith, Hay River, Inuvik, Yellowknife

Additional Info:

These orders can last a long time and:

- order the abusive person to stay away from you and your children;
- allow you to stay in your home without the abusive person being there;
- order the abusive person to take counselling; and/or
- order the abusive person to pay for any damages that were a result of their violent behaviour.

To apply for this protection, contact your local court worker, local Victim Services worker, Legal Aid or your lawyer. It usually takes a few weeks to get a protection order.

It is important to know that in an emergency, victims of family violence can apply for emergency protection orders (EPO) under the Protection Against Family Violence Act. EPOs are short-term orders that you can get quickly, and they can do many of the things that protection orders can do. For more information on EPOs, call 1-866-223-7775 or your local RCMP.

In some cases it may make sense to apply for an EPO and then apply for a protection order. The emergency protection order will address the emergency while the protection order can be part of a long-term safety plan.

Was this helpful?