YELLOWKNIFE (May 20, 2016) – Premier Bob McLeod announced the following changes to the senior ranks of the territorial public service today:
- Mike Aumond will become Secretary to Cabinet and Deputy Minister of the Executive;
- David Stewart will become Secretary to the Financial Management Board and Deputy Minister of Finance;
- Sylvia Haener will become Deputy Minister of Education, Culture and Employment;
- Martin Goldney will become Deputy Minister of Justice;
- Willard Hagen will join the public service as Deputy Minister of Lands;
- Tom Jensen will join the public service as Deputy Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment
- Shaleen Woodward will be acting Deputy Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Intergovernmental Relations
The Premier thanked outgoing Cabinet Secretary Penny Ballantyne for her leadership of the public service during the past six years, particularly in guiding final negotiations and transition planning for the devolution of public lands, resources and water from the Government of Canada to the Government of the Northwest Territories and overseeing transition during two changes in government.
The Premier also thanked Kelly Kaylo for her service as acting Deputy Minister of ITI and Kate Hearn for her service as acting Deputy Minister of Lands.
The appointments will take effect on July 4, 2016, except for the appointment of Tom Jensen, which will be effective July 6, 2016.
“Deputy Ministers play a critical role in planning and managing how the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) will deliver on the commitments it has made to advance the priorities of the 18th Legislative Assembly and people of the Northwest Territories. The individuals named today bring a wide range of experience and skills to their roles, both inside and outside the territorial public service, and contribute to the strong management team we need to ensure the GNWT makes progress on the mandate and priorities of the Assembly.”
- Bob McLeod – Premier
- Deputy Ministers are the non-elected head of a GNWT department.
- The Commissioner in Executive Council appoints Deputy Ministers on the advice of the Premier.
- Deputy Ministers serve at pleasure and are accountable to the Premier for the performance of their duties.
Senior Cabinet Communications Advisor
Cabinet Communications and Protocol
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel: (867) 767-9140 ext. 11091
Cell: (867) 447-0443
Email : email@example.com