YELLOWKNIFE (December 21, 2015) – Premier Bob McLeod announced portfolio assignments for Members of the Executive Council of the 18th Legislative Assembly today.
"I am pleased to welcome the new and returning Ministers selected by the Legislative Assembly," said Premier McLeod. "We have a good mix of experience and enthusiasm on the new Cabinet and all Ministers are committed to working hard on behalf of NWT residents. Ministers will be reading up on their departments and getting briefed over the holidays and once we are back in the New Year, we will be getting down to business drawing up a mandate and plans to advance the priorities set out by the 18th Legislative Assembly."
The Premier announced the following assignments:
- Hon. Robert C. McLeod - Deputy Premier, Minister of Finance, Minister of Lands, Minister of Municipal and Community Affairs
- Hon. Glen Abernethy - Minister of Health and Social Services, Minister of Human Resources, Minister Responsible for Seniors, Minister Responsible for Persons With Disabilities, Government House Leader
- Hon. Alfred Moses - Minister of Education, Culture and Employment, Minister Responsible for Youth
- Hon. Caroline Cochrane - Minister Responsible for the Northwest Territories Housing Corporation, Minister of Public Works and Services, Minister Responsible for the Status of Women
- Hon. Wally Schumann - Minister of Environment and Natural Resources, Minister of Transportation
- Hon. Louis Sebert - Minister of Justice, Minister Responsible for the Northwest Territories Power Corporation, Minister Responsible for the Workers' Safety and Compensation Commission
Premier McLeod will be Minister of the Executive, Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Intergovernmental Relations, Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment, and Minister Responsible for the Public Utilities Board.
To promote increased coordination and collaboration across departments and enhanced engagement with other governments and external partners on significant issues, the Premier has also assigned Ministers additional responsibilities in the following areas:
- Hon. Robert C. McLeod - Minister with Lead Responsibility for Infrastructure
- Hon. Caroline Cochrane - Minister Responsible for Addressing Homelessness
- Hon. Louis Sebert - Minister Responsible for Public Engagement and Transparency
“Members of the Legislative Assembly were briefed on the current fiscal and economic situation during our orientation and we do have some challenges to address,” said Premier McLeod. “Our revenue projections for the medium term are flat and that will mean some difficult decisions about how we spend our money as a government. Cabinet and Regular Members will need to work together to align our expenditures with our revenues, while at the same time coming up with a plan to sustain programs and services and make strategic investments that will support economic growth and diversification.”
The portfolio assignments will take effect Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.
Senior Cabinet Communications Advisor
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel: (867) 767-9000 ext. 11091