In this section
Public boards play an important role, from providing advice to government to managing public programs. For the public boards to fulfill their mandate, they must be made up of members who are qualified for the position and are committed to undertake the work of the board.
Natural resource management in the Northwest Territories is an integrated system composed of land use planning, environmental impact assessment, regulatory approvals, and cumulative impact monitoring. Land, Water and Resource management and advisory boards are an integral part of this system.
Land resource and self-government agreements, the Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act (MVRMA) and the Waters Act (WA) require the participation of federal and territorial governments, and Indigenous governments and organizations on boards.
The Government of the Northwest Territories is responsible for making nominations or appointments to a variety of public committees, boards and councils (public boards). These public boards have been created through legislation, intergovernmental agreements, or government policy. Appointments are made by Cabinet, the Commissioner in Executive Council or the responsible Minister
Apply for a board
The department currently accepts applications for several memberships on the various land, water and resource management boards across the NWT.
Learn about vacancies, board roles, time commitments, and vacancies:
Land Management Boards
- Inuvialuit Environmental Impact Review Board
- Inuvialuit Environmental Impact Screening Committee
- Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board
- Gwich’in Land Use Planning Board
- Sahtu Land Use Planning Board
- NWT Surface Rights Board
Northern Resources Management and Advisory Boards
- Inuvialuit Water Board
- Gwich'in Land and Water Board
- Gwich'in Renewable Resources Board
- Sahtu Land and Water Board
- Sahtu Renewable Resources Board
- Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board
- Wek'èezhìi Land and Water Board
- Wek'eezhii Renewable Resources Board
- Tuktut Nogait National Park Management Board
- Independent Environmental Monitoring Agency Board
- Environmental Monitoring Advisory Board
- NWT Environmental Studies Research Fund Management Board
- Thaidene Nëné Territorial Protected Area Management Board
- Ts’udé Nilįné Tuyeta Territorial Protected Area Management Board
Fill out the Northern Resources Management and Advisory Boards application form or the Land Management Boards application form and submit along with your resume via email or mail.
Mail: Board Appointments
Department of Environment and Climate Change
Government of the Northwest Territories
PO Box 1320