The Government of the Northwest Territories maintains water monitoring stations across the territory to keep track of water levels and flow rates in areas of potential flood risk for communities.
This information is provided regularly to territorial and regional emergency managers to help understand the status of waterways across the NWT in the lead-up to, and during spring break-up – the highest-risk period for floods in the Northwest Territories.
- Water levels at Aklavik and Inuvik remain high, but are slowly receding as ice continues to move through the Delta;
- The risk of ice-jam induced flooding for NWT communities has likely passed for the 2022-23 season;
- Cabin owners and land users are advised to continue to use caution when travelling throughout the Delta;
- Residual ice continues to move through the Delta;
- Ice jams may still form in the outer Delta causing localized water level fluctuations.