Take NWT Hunter Education
Northwest Territories (NWT) Hunter Education is now available online! Register here.
The course is also available in-person, by request. There will be a minimum participant requirement.
You can also challenge the exam without taking the course by contacting email@example.com.
What is the purpose of Hunter Education?
Hunter Education is a free course designed to teach hunters of all backgrounds and experience levels how to be respectful of wildlife, people, the environment and themselves while hunting.
The need for Hunter Education was identified through engagement with Indigenous governments and organizations, who wanted to see a course developed that would help prevent wounding and wastage of game.
When does Hunter Education become a requirement?
Starting January 1, 2020, all Resident and Non-Resident hunters will be required to take government-issued Hunter Education training prior to being issued a hunting licence in the Northwest Territories (NWT), under the Wildlife Act.
You may also be required to complete Hunter Education if you are convicted of any of the following hunting offences:
- Hunting out of season or in an unauthorized zone
- Hunting without the required licence or permit, or exceeding harvest limits
- Disturbing or harassing wildlife
- Wastage or failing to retrieve wounded wildlife
- Baiting wildlife without required permit
- Using dangerous or improper harvesting methods
- Trafficking meat or other parts of wildlife
Do I have to take Hunter Education?
Hunter Education is recommended for all harvesters, regardless of experience level.
You are exempt from having to take Hunter Education if you:
- are exercising an established or asserted Aboriginal right to harvest in the NWT in areas where you have harvesting rights
- hold a General Hunting Licence
- are a resident that has held a NWT resident hunting licence in the previous 5 years
- are an NWT resident and can prove you held a hunting licence in another Canadian jurisdiction in the previous five years or that you passed a hunter training course in another Canadian jurisdiction
- a hunter using a licensed guide or outfitter
What is included in the course?
The course has seven modules:
- The Responsible Hunter
- Ecology and Wildlife Management
- NWT Hunting Laws, Acts and Regulations
- Hunting Skills
- Planning and Preparation
- The Hunt
- Survival Skills
Where can I get more information?
For more information on NWT Hunter Education, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.