Monitoring legacy arsenic in the Yellowknife area

Fish Monitoring

ECC has collaborated with several universities and researchers to conduct fish sampling programs in lakes located within a 25 km radius of Yellowknife. Collected data was utilized to inform local human health risk assessments completed by ECC. Additionally HSS uses all data to update their advice to residents on arsenic in Yellowknife lake water. 

During the various engagement opportunities, people indicated that Great Slave Lake is where they primarily obtained their fish. The HHRA therefore assumed that 10% of the fish that people eat would be obtained from inland lakes such as Mason or Duck lakes, while the remaining 90% would be from Yellowknife Bay.

Both Background (fish outside the 25km radius) and Yellowknife Bay fish have the same flesh concentration of 0.09mg/kg for white fish. What this means is that people can eat as much fish from Yellowknife Bay as they would like. .

If people ate 100% of their fish from inland lakes over a lifetime, their risk levels would be low.

The GNWT Department of Health and Social Services has some good information, guidance and specific Q&As about fishing.