Julie Green, Minister Responsible for Persons with Disabilities is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2021 Persons with Disabilities Inclusion Awards.
The Persons with Disabilities Accessibility and Inclusion Awards Ceremony is hosted annually by the Minister Responsible for Persons with Disabilities and coincides with National AccessAbility Week.
This year’s recipients are:
- The Minister Responsible for Persons with Disabilities’ Award for Accessibility and Inclusion:
- Laurie McLean, Yellowknife – For many years Laurie has been the force behind, and the leader of the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Society of Canada, Yellowknife chapter, which she began in 2012. Laurie continues to volunteer tirelessly to advocate for and assist persons with MS.
- The NWT Disabilities Council Community Champion Award:
- Samantha Morandin, Yellowknife – Since 2018, Samantha has volunteered at the North Country Stables in Yellowknife where she provides horse riding lessons to youth with disabilities. Samantha’s efforts and commitment to providing equine-assisted therapy has enabled immense emotional and physical benefits for these youth as they learn to work with and care for horses.
- The Human Rights Commission Accessibility Award:
- Zhahti Koe Friendship Centre, Fort Providence – Through a culmination of community effort and generosity, the Zhahti Koe Friendship Centre was able to obtain an accessible van to assist persons with disabilities in Fort Providence to attend appointments and health services, thus making strides toward a more inclusive and accessible community.
These awards provide an opportunity to recognize the compassion and commitment of the many outstanding volunteers, community members, and businesses who devote their time to enhancing the quality of life of those living with disabilities in the NWT. These individuals and businesses help all year long to make the NWT more inclusive and accessible.
This year, because of COVID-19 restrictions, a special video was produced to celebrate the 2021 recipients. The video can be viewed on the Department of Health and Social Services website. https://www.hss.gov.nt.ca/en/services/services-persons-disabilities/persons-disabilities-accessibility-and-inclusion-awards
Media Requests, please contact:
A/Manager of Communications
Department of Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories
1-867-767-9090 ext. 49034