R.J. Simpson, Minister responsible for the Aurora College Act, is pleased to share that Joe Handley has been appointed as Chairperson of the Aurora College Board of Governors for a term of three years.
Mr. Handley is a former premier of the Northwest Territories (NWT), former Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) deputy minister, former member of the Northwest Territories Legislative Assembly, former minister of a wide variety of GNWT Departments, and a trained educator. The experience and skills derived from his extensive career in politics and his experience serving on several boards make him uniquely positioned and qualified to be the Chairperson of the Board.
Along with his role as Chairperson, Mr. Handley will join twelve individuals as a representative on the Board that will serve as a governing body with the forthcoming Academic Council and Indigenous Knowledge Holders Council, overseeing and fulfilling Aurora College’s standards of academic excellence and the future polyethnic university.
The re-establishment of the Board is the first step towards establishing the tricameral governance model and achieving a critical milestone in Phase 2 of the Aurora College’s transformation to a polytechnic university.
“I am pleased to welcome Mr. Handley to his role as Chairperson of the Aurora College Board of Governors. Mr. Handley is a trained educator, a former Premier of the Northwest Territories and a former GNWT Deputy Minister, bringing a wealth of knowledge to this position. He is well suited to lead the Board of Governors through this important time, and I look forward to working with Mr. Handley as he takes on this important leadership role for the benefit of Northwest Territories residents.”
-R.J. Simpson, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
“As Chairperson I look forward to working with members of the Aurora College Board of Governors, an exceptionally talented and experienced group, in meeting the challenges of building an even stronger Aurora College and eventually polytechnic university.
- Mr. Joseph (Joe) Handley, Chairperson, Aurora College Board of Governors
- Recent amendments to the Aurora College Act (Act) allow Aurora College to operate at arm’s length from government. A tricameral model of governance that includes a Board of Governors, Academic Council and Indigenous Knowledge Holders Council is established through the amended Act.
- The Minister Responsible for the Aurora College Act is required to recommend a member of the Aurora College Board of Governors for appointment as Chairperson of the Board for Executive Council recommendation to the Commissioner.
- Minister Simpson Statement in Legislative Assembly (March 6, 2023)
- Aurora College News Release – Appointment of Board of Governors
- Aurora College Transformation Website
For media requests, please contact:
Government of the Northwest Territories