The Government of the Northwest Territories is pleased to announce the release of the next Water Strategy Action Plan, the Northwest Territories’ plan to responsibly and collaboratively steward our waters.
The NWT Water Stewardship Strategy Action Plan, 2021-2025 sets clear actions under four priority areas:
- Working together: collaborating to share information and build strong partnerships.
- Know and plan: learning more about the ever-changing realities of NWT’s waters – and using that information to inform our efforts.
- Use responsibly: actions ensuring water managers have the information necessary to make well-reasoned decisions.
- Check our progress: reporting regularly to make sure we are on the right track.
Each of these actions will help foster a future where waters are wisely stewarded to meet the territory’s environmental, social, and economic goals over the long term.
This plan was developed with the input of dozens of water partners who all play a role in water stewardship.
Water partners include:
- Indigenous governments and organizations
- Federal, territorial, and community governments
- Non-profit organizations
These partners will gather virtually for the annual Water Strategy Implementation Workshop in mid-November to discuss the new Action Plan and how to continue to work collaboratively on implementation over the next five-years.
“I’d like to recognize the contributions of our water partners across the Northwest Territories, with whom we share a vision to ensure NWT waters remain clean, abundant and productive for all time.”
- Shane Thompson, Minister of Environment and Natural Resources
- The goals of the Water Strategy are to ensure that:
- Waters that flow into, within or through the NWT are substantially unaltered in quality, quantity and rates of flow;
- Residents have access to safe, clean and plentiful drinking water at all times;
- Aquatic ecosystems are healthy and diverse;
- Residents can rely on their water to sustain their communities and economies;
- Residents are involved in and knowledgeable about water stewardship; and
- All those making water stewardship decisions work together to communicate and share information.
- This is the third action plan supporting the NWT Water Stewardship Strategy – released in 2010.
- Water Stewardship Strategy Action Plan – 2021-2025: Plain language summary
- Water Stewardship Strategy Action Plan – 2021-2025: Full action plan
- Water Stewardship Strategy Action Plan – 2021-2025: What We Heard
- Water Stewardship Strategy
For media requests, please contact:
Manager, Communications and Public Affairs
Environment and Natural Resources
Government of the Northwest Territories