The Government of the Northwest Territories’ (GNWT) new Commercial Fishery Support Pilot Program (CFSP) is now accepting applications. This funding program is part of the GNWT’s ongoing strategy to support Northwest Territories (NWT) fishers and to revitalize the territory’s commercial fishery by helping to defer costs, supplement prices, and encourage recruitment and innovation.
The commercial fishing industry in the NWT offers a wide variety of careers ranging from fishing, processing, and packaging to transportation and administration. As such, it is a cornerstone of a well-diversified economy as well as a staple of locally-sourced food. By creating incentives, the CFSP will help spark the interest of new fishers and help to offset some of the challenges the industry has faced in recent years.
“Fishers are a vital part of the economy, culture, and food security of the Northwest Territories. This funding will help to reignite the interest of young fishers while supporting the industry through a changing economic landscape.”
- Caroline Wawzonek, Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment
- Funding includes fuel rebates, as well as volume, recruitment, and innovation incentives.
- Fuel and volume incentive amounts will be revisited seasonally to reflect the changing needs of the industry.
- Eligibility varies according to the CFSP priority stream and includes commercial fishers, NWT industry organizations, NWT research bodies/institutions, NWT Indigenous governments, and NWT Indigenous organizations
- Commercial Fishery Support Pilot Program
- Commercial Fishers Support Pilot Program - Funding Policy - July 2023
For media requests, please contact:
Asst. Director, Strategic Communications
Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9202 Ext. 63037