Given the unique and significant impact of COVID-19 on the Northwest Territories economy and labour market, the Department of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) has created a streamlined labour market recovery program to support broad sectors of our economy in response to the pandemic.
This time-limited funding is available now to support immediate labour market recovery. The funding includes three categories of support:
- Labour Market Recovery Wage Subsidy - Supports employers recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic impacts by providing funding for a wage subsidy to hire and retain staff.
- Labour Market Recovery Project Fund - For employers, organizations and community partners looking to implement projects that will have an impact on the recovery of the NWT labour market.
- Community Support - Funding for all 33 NWT communities to hire local residents to address pandemic-related needs and support labour market recovery.
Employers, organizations and community partners can get more information and apply for funding by contacting or visiting their local ECE Service Centre.
“The Government of the Northwest Territories is committed to supporting broad sectors of our economy throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. This funding will support labour market recovery and enhancements for individuals, employers, organizations and communities across the NWT. We will continue to work in collaboration with the Government of Canada to ensure that the needs of Northern residents and business are met.”
- R.J. Simpson, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
- The Labour Market Recovery program is supported by $3 million in funding provided by the Government of Canada to support labour market recovery in the NWT.
Media Requests, please contact:
Senior Communications Advisor
Education, Culture and Employment
Government of the Northwest Territories