The Department of Infrastructure advises that unseasonably warm temperatures are impacting roads and ice road conditions across the Northwest Territories. Here are the latest road conditions:
- The Mackenzie Valley winter road is now closed for the season.
- The Sambaa K’e winter road – is open tonight (March 20th) from 10:00 p.m. for NIGHT TRAVEL ONLY, but will close tomorrow morning or sooner if conditions require.
- The Wekweètı winter road will open tonight, March 20th at 10:00 PM to vehicles weighing up to 10,000 kgs. Please watch for rough areas on the overland portages. NIGHT TRAVEL ONLY from 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- The Whatì winter road is open to vehicles weighing up to 36,000 kgs. There is a reduced speed section at Km 14 on Marian Lake for approximately 1 kilometre in length. NIGHT TRAVEL ONLY from 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- The Tłı̨chǫ winter road to Gamètì is open to vehicles weighing up to 15,000 kgs. NIGHT TRAVEL ONLY from 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- The entire Tłı̨chǫ winter road system is on NIGHT TRAVEL ONLY from 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m. No daytime traffic is permitted. Please watch for slippery sections on portages and lakes.
- The department of Infrastructure would like to remind drivers that it is unsafe and illegal to drive on a closed winter road. The fine for operating on a closed seasonal road is $863 under the Seasonal Highway Restrictions.
- Please obey all traffic signs.
- Motorists are advised to check the Department of Infrastructure Highway Conditions Map and Infrastructure tweets for the latest information.
For more information, contact:
Manager, Public Affairs and Communications
Phone: 867-767-9082 Ext. 32025