June is Seniors Month, a time for us to celebrate the valuable contributions that seniors make to their families, communities, and the territory.
During this month, you can do the following to recognize and honour seniors in your community:
- Visit a Senior – Connect and spend time with a senior/seniors in your community.
- Get out and be active – Plan an activity that helps a senior/seniors get outside (bush walk, cook-out, on-the land activities, etc.).
- Cook a meal – Cook a meal and share it with a senior in your community.
- Story Time – Create opportunities for seniors, children, youth, and adults to read together or share history and lived experiences.
- Share recipes - Create opportunities for seniors teach young people how to cook family recipes, healthy snacks, and country foods in the community.
- Learn & Teach a Language – Create opportunities to share and learn Indigenous languages between generations.
For more ideas and information, visit https://www.hss.gov.nt.ca/en/seniors-month
For media requests, please contact:
Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories
(867) 767-9052 ext. 49034