The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is pleased to announce the launch of its newly redesigned Northwest Territories (NWT) driver’s licences and general identification cards.
Both documents offer improved security features, making them harder to alter or replicate ensuring increased protecting for NWT residents from fraud. They also feature a new Northern look and feel with NWT elements such as a diamond, Arctic Grayling, Mountain Aven, fox, midnight sun and fireweed.
The new cards will be available in September 2020. Cards with the old design remain valid until their expiry date (or extended expiry date due to COVID-19).
Beginning in November 2020, temporary identification cards will also be available at Driver and Motor Vehicles Offices. At that time, images taken at the issuing office will also be enrolled into the facial recognition system. This technology protects residents from identity theft and prevents people from getting several licences or ID cards in multiple jurisdictions.
“The Government of the Northwest Territories takes security fraud very seriously. Our newly designed driver’s licences and general identification cards are now among the most secure in the world, ensuring the best possible protection to Northwest Territories residents from fraud.”
-R.J. Simpson, Minister of Infrastructure
- Current driver’s licences and general identification cards were issued in 2006.
- New driver’s licences and general identification cards will be issued as of September 2020.
- Cards with the existing design remain valid until their date of expiry (or extended expiry date due to COVID-19).
- Department of Infrastructure (https://www.inf.gov.nt.ca/en)
- DMV Online services https://www.idmv.dot.gov.nt.ca/
For media requests, please contact:
Department of Infrastructure
Government of the Northwest Territories