YELLOWKNIFE (June 10, 2013) – National Tourism Week in Canada is June 10-16, 2013 and events to celebrate the week and highlight the economic opportunities tourism brings to the territory are being held across the Northwest Territories.
“Tourism is a vital industry and has the potential to drive economic growth in every region of the NWT,” said Industry, Tourism and Investment Minister David Ramsay. “I would like to recognize the contribution that tourism operators and service providers make to our tourism industry, and encourage everyone across the NWT to continue to show our visitors our great northern hospitality.”
Activities are planned around the NWT to celebrate Tourism Week:
- June 12: A BBQ will be held at the Norman Wells Visitor Information Centre/Museum from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- June 14: A BBQ will be held at the Fort Simpson Visitors Information Centre (VIC). Prizes donated by regional tourism operators will be drawn throughout the event, and historical walking tours will be offered.
- June 14: NWT Tourism will host the Fourth Annual Fun in the Sun golf tournament in Yellowknife. Registration starts at 11 a.m. with a shotgun start at noon, and includes a golfer’s pack, an 18-hole round and dinner.
- June 14: An open house will be held at the Western Arctic Regional Visitors Centre in Inuvik. Refreshments and door prizes will be provided.
- June 15: An open house will be held at the 60th Parallel Visitor Information Centre from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Guests can enjoy coffee, tea and bannock and learn about tourism opportunities in all regions of the NWT
NWT Tourism will be promoting each region through a Twitter and Facebook campaign that encourages locals to comment and highlight must-see and must-do activities in their home communities throughout the week.
By providing additional funding to help expand marketing to key target markets in Europe and the Asia-Pacific, as well as other parts of Canada and areas identified in the United States, the GNWT is taking steps to strengthen and diversify the economy – a key priority of the 17th Legislative Assembly.
For more information contact:
Manager, Public Affairs and Communications
Industry, Tourism and Investment
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel: (867) 920-8696