The Northwest Territories (NWT) Arts Council has added two new members to the council following its first public call for nominations in May 2021.
The new council members began their two-year terms with the NWT Arts Council effective September 9, 2021. The new members are:
- Bambi Duncan (Sahtu Region Council Member) from Norman Wells, was raised in the NWT in a family of artists. She is passionate about arts and has knowledge in all forms including music, video, theatre, and event production.
- Jerome Gordon (Beaufort Delta Region Council Member) is a visual artist and traditional art maker from Inuvik. He was recently a board member for the Great Northern Arts Festival and acted as an Artist Liaison there for the past three years which gives him an extended knowledge of the community and the cultural and artistic scene of the Beaufort Delta.
The NWT Arts Council provides recommendations to the Minister of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) on financial awards for creative artistic projects in the visual, literary, media and performing arts, will provide input on issues and policies associated with the arts and artists in the NWT.
“The NWT Arts Council provides valuable insight, experience, and knowledge of the NWT’s arts sector. I am pleased to welcome Sahtu Region Member, Bambi Duncan, and Beaufort Delta Region Member, Jerome Gordon, to the Council.”
- R.J. Simpson, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
- The NWT Arts Council was established August 1985, as an advisory board to the GNWT.
- ECE administers the NWT Arts Council funding program for artistic projects, through the Community Programs Office, Division of Culture & Heritage.
- The NWT Arts Council consists of members from the six regions of the NWT: South Slave, Inuvik, Deh Cho, Sahtu, Tłı̨chǫ, and North Slave.
- Terms are staggered on alternating years, as per the NWT Arts Council Policy.
For media requests, please contact:
Manager, Public Affairs and Communications
Department of Education, Culture and Employment
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9352 Ext. 71073