Check against delivery
Madam Speaker, today I am pleased to announce the successful distribution of $1.583 million in COVID-19 emergency support funding for sport organizations. This funding has been provided by the Government of Canada through the Department of Canadian Heritage’s Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage and Sport Organizations.
The funding provides additional temporary relief to support sport organizations and helps them plan for the future. This funding is being used to support the continuation of sport and recreation program operations across the Northwest Territories. The funds will enable them to support the healthy lifestyle goals outlined in the Government of the Northwest Territories’ Emerging Wisely plan to manage the impacts of the pandemic.
Municipal and Community Affairs distributed funding for sport and recreation programs in the amounts of:
- $721,289 to 33 community governments;
- $634,000 to 29 territorial sport organizations; and
- $228,351 to territorial and regional sport and recreation non-government organizations.
Madam Speaker, the innovative projects being supported through this funding are impressive, they include:
- Outdoor events such as winter cultural day camps with fishing, trapping and traditional Indigenous games;
- Upgrades and repairs to outdoor sport and recreation areas like parks as well as
ski and hiking trails;
- The doubling of some program offerings so that everyone interested can participate even when attendance restrictions limit the number of people at any single event;
- Cleaning supplies and personal protective equipment for staff;
- On-line programming; and
- Extra staff and additional cleaning costs.
Community governments have also been reaching out to schools to support student and resident access to services so that health and wellness can be bolstered in these challenging times.
Madam Speaker, MACA continues to support community governments and sport and recreation organizations dealing with the impacts of the pandemic by extending resources from all existing programs. Communities have demonstrated the flexibility to adapt programs to deal with restrictions under the public health order.
Madam Speaker, the Government of Canada’s support for NWT sport programming could not have come at a better time. Through innovative planning and careful health and safety measures, this funding will be supporting important sport and recreation programs that directly impact the physical and mental health of all NWT residents.
Thank you, Madam Speaker.