Research and data in the NWT

The Government of the Northwest Territories is an active leader, practitioner, partner and promoter of all forms of research necessary to inform relevant, timely and effective policy, planning and legislation. This includes traditional knowledge and community-based research. 

If you are a research practitioner working in the NWT, you need to:

  • conduct research and collect data based on the best available evidence and knowledge as derived from investigation, experience and research.
  • obtain the proper licences and permits. This applies to everyone, including government agencies, and is intended to avoid harm to the natural, social and cultural environments of the NWT.

Information about your work is shared with northern residents through the licensing process.