Water Management and Monitoring

Do I need a licence to do research?

All research conducted in the Northwest Territories (NWT)—including water-related research—requires a licence or permit. Depending on the topic or location of the research project multiple research licences might be required.

As a researcher, you need to contact the relevant agencies and communities at least three months in advance of your anticipated research start date in the NWT.

More information about conducting research in the NWT, along with specific community perspectives, and information on recently issued licences,is available from  the Aurora Research Institute.