The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is now accepting proposals for the Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund (ECIF). For the 2022-2023 fiscal year, $1M is available through Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund to provide non-profit organizations and Indigenous governments with funding for infrastructure repairs and retrofits to support the preservation, expansion and creation of centre-based child care spaces in communities across the Northwest Territories.
The lack of infrastructure is a significant barrier to the development of licensed centre-based early learning and child care programs across the NWT. Suitable buildings that meet the requirements for providing child care are hard to find, and renovations are often very expensive.
This funding helps organizations to pursue needed renovations that allows them to expand on or start new early learning and child care programs and provide families with a safe and caring environment for children to learn and grow in.
Proposal deadline: December 10, 2021 at 5 p.m. MST.
“We recognize that quality early learning and child care programs play an important role in promoting the social, emotional, physical and cognitive development of young children and can support positive lifelong benefits. Providing opportunities to ensure infrastructure is available is one way the Government of the Northwest Territories is working towards improving early childhood indicators across the NWT.”
-R.J. Simpson, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
- The GNWT started providing funding for Early Childhood Infrastructure in 2020-2021 and this is the third call for proposals.
- The GNWT has funded nine projects since implementing the ECIF program.
- ECE has extended the timeframe for submission to three months and is issuing the call earlier in the year based on feedback from applicants.
- Information on starting and operating a child care facility in the NWT
- Apply for funding through the Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund
For media requests, please contact:
Manager, Public Affairs and Communications
Department of Education, Culture and Employment
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9352 Ext. 71073