With the entry into Phase 1 of Emerging Wisely, the Government of the Northwest Territories’ (GNWT) plan to relax COVID-19 restrictions in the Northwest Territories, the GNWT has adapted its operating hours for its four highway ferries.
Each ferry will operate on an on-demand basis during the following hours:
Each ferry will begin operating when water and ice conditions are safe to do so. The GNWT will monitor both ferry activity and the changing environment surrounding COVID-19 and will modify hours as required.
The following restrictions/precautions will also be in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
· Each ferry has a passenger limit (see the chart above).
· All passengers will be required to stay in their vehicle during the crossing.
· To request access to washroom facilities, passengers must alert staff by honking their vehicle horn.
· Enhanced cleaning and sanitizing practices will be introduced and undertaken throughout the day in between crossings.
· Passengers waiting on shore are asked to maintain physical distance from others.
“In the Northwest Territories, our ferries are an essential service for our residents; they connect NWT people and communities and ensure the continuation of the critical supply chain. We are pleased to be able to extend the on-demand ferry hours for our territory’s four ferries. We are closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and will continue to adjust our ferry operations as needed.”
-Katrina Nokleby, Minister of Infrastructure
· All four GNWT ferries will operate this season.
· Each ferry will begin operating when water and ice conditions are safe to do so. At that time, ferries will operate on an on-demand basis.
· The GNWT will monitor both ferry activity and the changing environment surrounding COVID-19 and will modify hours as required.
For all COVID-19 Media Requests, please contact:
Government of the Northwest Territories