Today, the Government of Northwest Territories (GNWT) released its fifth free mental health and wellness box to Northwest Territories (NWT) youth. These boxes are being made available as part of the My Voice My Choice campaign for youth wellness.
The theme of this month’s box is “Substance Use and Mental Health.” Youth aged 13-18, and organizations who serve them, can request a box by emailing email@example.com.
The boxes include a variety of health and mental wellness resources, learning tools, as well as individual and group activities like colouring sheets, carving kits, beading and more from northern-based artists. The boxes are available to youth and to organizations who work with youth.
There are six different mental health and wellness boxes, each with a unique theme:
- Sexual Health
- Healthy Relationships
- Healthy Coping
- Self Harm and Suicide Prevention
- Substance Use and Mental Health
- On the Land Healing
- Launched in 2011, My Voice My Choice is a social marketing campaign that provides NWT youth with information to positively influence their choices and behaviours related to their mental wellness.
- The free mental health and wellness boxes contain resources on a variety of health and wellness topics designed for youth aged 13 to 18.
- Individual youth and/or organizations serving youth can request a box and/or facilitator’s guide with lessons and group activities.
- The themes for the boxes were developed after NWT youth identified that they wanted to learn more about sexual health, suicide prevention, healthy relationships, and healthy coping skills.
- Due to high demand, the mental health and wellness content provided in the various themed boxes are now available on the My Voice, My Choice website for anyone to access.
For media requests, please contact:
Department of Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories
(867) 767-9052 ext. 49034