The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) announced today that it will allocate $20.145 million to support the Northwest Territories’ Aviation Sector to continue essential air services during the COVID-19 pandemic.
This funding is part of the $75 million funding program announced by the Government of Canada to support essential air services to remote communities between July 1 and December 31, 2020. Transport Canada will provide $17.124 in new funding; while the GNWT will provide $3.021 million.
The GNWT will allocate the funding as follows:
Fixed Wing Operators
Hoarfrost River Huskies
Northwestern Air Lease
South Nahanni Airways
Rotary Wing Operators
Great Slave Helicopters
K’ahsho Got’ine Helicopters
This funding demonstrates the shared commitment of the Government of the Northwest Territories and the Government of Canada to ensure that all Canadians—including those in our most remote communities—continue to have access to essential goods and services throughout the pandemic. I would like to thank the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau; the Minister of Northern Affairs; the Honourable Daniel Vandal; and the Minister of Indigenous Services, the Honourable Marc Miller for their ongoing commitment to the residents, businesses and community of the Northwest Territories.
-Caroline Wawzonek, Minister of Finance
- Today’s funding announcement covers the period of July 1 to December 31, 2020
- In total, the Government of the Northwest Territories and the Government of Canada have provided $31.9 million in funding support to the NWT aviation industry.
- Previously announced supports for the NWT aviation industry include the waiving of all landing fees at NWT airport, as well as the waiving of all leases and licence and concession fees for all business operating at NWT airports.
- GNWT provides funding to support NWT airlines (May 8, 2020)
- GNWT announces over $2.9 million in new funding for NWT aviation companies (June 12, 2020)
For more information, please contact:
Senior Communications Officer
Department of Executive and Indigenous Affairs
Government of the Northwest Territories