The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has modified the eligibility criteria and guidelines for the Employer Driven Stream of the Northwest Territories Nominee Program (NTNP). These changes provide more flexibility for employers and ensure the program and processes are user-friendly.
The NTNP helps employers recruit and retain critically needed and skilled workers. It currently has two streams: Employer-Driven and Business. Through nominating foreign nationals via the NTNP, employers can grow and/or maintain their businesses by hiring and retaining quality staff members for jobs that are not able to be filled with Northwest Territories (NWT) residents.
The changes to the Employer Driven guidelines reflect direct client feedback and include:
- easing advertising requirements for employers
- reducing the number of hours required for work to be considered full-time
- reducing certain language level requirements
The guidelines have also been reformatted and information has been added to ensure they are clear and concise, including information on the post-nomination process, work permit support letters and the screening process with the Employment Standards Office.
For a complete list of the changes, please visit: https://www.immigratenwt.ca/en/newsroom/changes-employer-driven-stream-NTNP
“The changes introduced to the Employer Driven Stream of the Northwest Territories Nominee Program (NTNP) reflect feedback from clients, and address employer’s needs. The Government of the Northwest Territories will continue to enhance and grow the NTNP streams and guidelines to ensure we are supporting the development of a strong labour market in the NWT today and for generations to come.”
- R.J. Simpson, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
- The department of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) delivers the Employer Driven Stream of the NTNP; the department of Industry, Tourism and Investment (ITI) delivers the Business Stream of the NTNP.
- The recent changes are specific to the NTNP Employer Driven Stream and will have no impact on the Business Stream.
- The Canada-Northwest Territories Agreement on Territorial Nominees allows the GNWT to introduce changes to the NTNP that enhance program integrity and address economic and labour market trends and needs in the NWT.
- Entry Level/Semi-Skilled Occupations – Program Guidelines
- Skilled Worker-NWT Express Entry - Program Guidelines
- Complete list of changes
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
For media requests, please contact:
Manager, Public Affairs and Communications
Department of Education, Culture and Employment
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9352 Ext. 71073