Today the Minister of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE), R.J. Simpson, announced two new grants available for all post-secondary students accessing full-time Student Financial Assistance (SFA) benefits in the 2020-21 academic year as part of the GNWT COVID-19 Economic Relief Measures.
The SFA program supports students with post-secondary education-related expenses.
To address the realities that students face with the transition to online learning and COVID-19 impacts, the two new taxable grants will help students with the costs of technology equipment and internet services.
- The Technology Grant is a one-time grant which provides $750 towards offsetting the cost of technology equipment, such as computers, printers, scanners, tablets etc.
- The Support Grant is an additional $100 per month for the duration of the student’s 2020-21 academic year, to assist with additional costs, such as internet fees.
Students can apply for funding or access further information about the grants by visiting the Student Financial Assistance page on the ECE website or by calling at 1-800-661-0793.
“Over the last several months students in particular have had to adjust to the changing circumstances and environments due to COVID. Understanding some of the new financial implications students are facing we have made numerous changes to further support to our post-secondary students. I am pleased to announce that we are enhancing SFA benefits with these new grants to better serve our residents. ECE is committed to ensuring NWT students/residents do not experience any additional stresses as they pursue their post-secondary education.”
- R.J. Simpson, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
- Two new grants are now available to post-secondary students receiving full-time SFA benefits.
- COVID-19 Technology grant
- One-time grant of $750 to be used to purchase technology equipment.
- COVID-19 Support Grant
- Monthly grant of $100 to assist with additional costs, such as internet fees.
- COVID-19 Student Financial Assistance for Postsecondary Students
- General Information on COVID-19 in the NWT
- Information on the Canada Emergency Student Benefit
For Media Requests, please contact:
Education, Culture and Employment
Government of the Northwest Territories