The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) announced today that it will be extending certain economic relief measures for COVID-19, previously set to expire on June 30, 2020. Extending these measures will result in $5.751 million in support for NWT residents and businesses.
Two funding initiatives to support licensed child care programs have been extended until September 30, 2020:
- funding to pay up to 75% of eligible fixed costs for child care operators; and
- funding supports for enhanced cleaning of child care spaces.
The GNWT will also continue to waive certain fees for residents and businesses, including:
- Deh Cho Bridge tolls (extended to Sept 30, 2020);
- truck permits (Sept 30, 2020);
- NWT airport landing fees (Dec 31, 2020); and
- Leases, licences, and concession fees at all NWT airports (Dec 31, 2020).
The GNWT has allocated $557,000 to extend the two funding initiatives for licensed child care programs and expects that extending fee waivers will save NWT residents and businesses approximately $5.2 million.
A summary of all COVID-19 economic relief measures provided by the GNWT is included in the GNWT COVID-19 Economic Relief Backgrounder. The GNWT will continue to assess what new or existing supports are needed as the NWT continues to emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic.
“As the Government of the Northwest Territories works on comprehensive plans for social and economic recovery, we are reviewing and assessing the need for various measures that were brought in to provide immediate relief in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic. Today’s announcement signals our government’s commitment to support NWT residents, businesses, and communities, as we continue to determine the best ways to provide support as we move forward.”
-Caroline Wawzonek, Minister of Finance
- Up to June 30, 2020, the GNWT measures have provided $36.893 million in economic relief for NWT residents and businesses
- Funding to date includes $11.644 million in financial support for the NWT aviation industry
- The GNWT has extended the suspension of all collection activities until September 30, 2020
- Northwest Territories COVID-19 Relief - https://www.gov.nt.ca/en/newsroom/northwest-territories-covid-19-economic-relief
- Supporting people, businesses and communities in response to COVID-19 - https://www.gov.nt.ca/en/newsroom/supporting-people-businesses-and-communities-response-covid-19
- GNWT provides funding to support NWT airlines - https://www.gov.nt.ca/en/newsroom/gnwt-provides-funding-support-nwt-airlines
- GNWT announces over $2.9 million in new funding for NWT aviation companies - https://www.gov.nt.ca/en/newsroom/gnwt-announces-over-29-million-new-funding-nwt-aviation-companies
For more information, please contact:
Senior Communications Officer
Department of Finance