The Government of the Northwest Territories is providing funding to tourism operators that have exhausted the support available to them under the federal government’s Northern Business Relief Fund (NBRF) and Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF).
Tourism operators will be able to apply to the Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment to cover the same fixed operating costs set out under the NBRF.
Eligible operators will be able to claim up to $50,000 for expenses which can include: rent/mortgage; utilities (heat; electric; water and sewer; phone and internet); subscriptions (for example: financial or booking systems); and insurance.
This is a one-time funding initiative designed to help companies through to April 1, 2021 when new government supports are anticipated to become available. Expenses already covered by federal payments under the NBRF and the RRRF will not be eligible.
Eligible tourism operators should contact their regional ITI Tourism Development Officer.
“The travel, tourism and accommodations sectors have been disproportionately affected by the pandemic. In the absence of travellers or visitors to our territory, these “sectors at risk” have relied heavily on federal relief packages. As these funds are exhausted, we are stepping up our support of NWT tourism operators in the short term, until additional relief and recovery efforts can be finalized and put in place.”
- Caroline Wawzonek – Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment
- The Northern Business Relief Fund (NBRF) and Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF) provide short term support, in the form of a non-repayable grant, for ongoing operational costs to small and medium-sized territorial businesses impacted by economic disruptions due to COVID-19.
- The total amount that a business can claim under the programs is $100,000.
- ITI North Slave Regional Office
- Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency
- Northern Business Relief Fund (NBRF)
For More Information, please contact:
Asst. Director Strategic Communications
Industry, Tourism and Investment
1-867-767-9202 (ext: 63037)