The Department of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) has developed a new online tracker to share progress on actions underway to improve Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (JK-12) student outcomes in the Northwest Territories (NWT).
The Mandate of the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) includes the commitment to increase JK-12 student educational outcomes to the same level as the rest of Canada.
To meet this Mandate commitment, and respond to the findings of the mid-term evaluation of Education Renewal and Innovation (ERI) and the 2020 report of the Office of the Auditor General, ECE has developed an Action Plan to Improve JK-12 Student Outcomes. The plan categorizes actions by seven themes:
- Quality Early Learning and Child Care
- Workforce Development and Capacity Building
- Curriculum and Student Assessment
- Student Supports
- Training, Developing and Support for School Employees
- Monitoring and Evaluation
Deliverables and timelines for completion are included for each of the action items. The public can monitor the GNWT’s progress on these action items, and read the Action Plan, on ECE’s website.
Key among the action items is ECE’s work to modernize the Education Act and renew JK-12 curriculum. Both initiatives are underway, with public engagement occurring on Education Act Modernization from now until June 2021, and direct engagement on JK-12 curriculum renewal taking place over the coming months with Indigenous governments, key education stakeholders and the public
“How we deliver equitable education in the Northwest Territories is critical for ensuring the development of accomplished, capable northerners. The GNWT is committed to improving the NWT education system, in partnership with education bodies, Indigenous governments, communities, educators, families and students, who all have a role to play in improving educational outcomes.”
- R.J. Simpson, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
- In 2018-2019, ECE conducted a five-year evaluation of the Education Renewal and Innovation Framework. During the same time, the OAG conducted a performance audit of early childhood to JK-12 education in the NWT.
- In response to the findings of the OAG and ERI evaluation, ECE has developed a revised Action Plan for ERI that follows ECE’s approach to improving student outcomes, starting with actions that focus on quality early learning and child care and moving on to those actions that support a quality JK-12 education system.
- Online Action Tracker
- Action Plan to Improve JK-12 Student Outcomes
- OAG Report on Early Childhood to Grade 12 Education in the NWT
- Education Renewal and Innovation 5-year Evaluation
- Education Act Modernization Public Engagement
Media Requests, please contact:
Manager of Public Affairs and Communications
Department of Education, Culture and Employment
Government of the Northwest Territories
Phone: 867-767-9352 Ext. 71073