Given the unique and significant impact of the recent COVID-19 restrictions and containment orders on the Northwest Territories (NWT) economy and labour market, the Department of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) has created the Labour Market Recovery Wage Grant to support NWT employers in response to the pandemic.
The Wage Grant is intended for employers who have been impacted by restrictions on gathering sizes under a public health order issued after August 1, 2021. It will support employers to retain or bring staff back into the workplace in an environment where the employer has lost revenue.
Non-essential businesses can apply for a Wage Grant of maximum $2,000 per employee, to a maximum of $10,000 per employer. Employers, organizations and community partners can get more information and apply for funding by contacting their local ECE Service Centre. Applications will be processed in the order of receipt and this initiative will remain in effect until March 31, 2022 or until the allocated funding is spent.
“While necessary, the Government of the Northwest Territories recognizes how challenging the recent orders and gathering restrictions in the Northwest Territories are for both businesses and employees. This new Wage Grant will support NWT employees whose positions are impacted by these orders. The GNWT remains committed to supporting broad sectors of our economy throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. ”
- R.J. Simpson, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
- Applications will be processed in the order of receipt and this initiative will remain in effect until March 31, 2022 or until the allocated funding is spent.
- Funding of $2,000 per employee is available to employers, with a maximum of $10,000 per employer.
- Registered businesses, industry associations, local housing authorities, non-government organizations, Indigenous organizations, and local, municipal, and Indigenous governments are eligible to apply.
- Non-Profit organizations that had to reduce hours of service, where staff are working fewer hours than the July 2021 reference period, are eligible.
For media requests, please contact:
Communications & Public Affairs
Department of Education, Culture and Employment
Government of the Northwest Territories