Yesterday Finance Minister Caroline Wawzonek tabled a new Diversity and Inclusion Framework that will help foster a public service that is welcoming, culturally competent, and free of discrimination.
The department of Finance developed the Diversity and Inclusion Framework to help departments review current programs, policies, and resources to identify and address any systemic barriers that may prevent employees from reaching their full potential or prevent people from accessing opportunities within the Government of the Northwest Territories.
The framework’s goals will be integrated into business practices through an implementation plan that will support departments in recognizing and incorporating diversity and inclusion practices into policies, programs, training, and services.
The Diversity and Inclusion Framework, along with other GNWT diversity and inclusion initiatives, is intended to further diversify the public service and work toward the full inclusion of all people.
“Diversity and inclusion are crucial aspects of a strong and stable public service. The Diversity and Inclusion Framework will support our departmental priorities to achieve a culturally safe and inclusive workplace and will support these efforts by helping departments identify and address systemic barriers that impact diverse people from accessing employment an/or training opportunities within the GNWT. As a government, we continue to work towards supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce where diversity is respected and embraced.”
- Caroline Wawzonek, Minister of Finance
- Other GNWT diversity and inclusion initiatives include:
- The Affirmative Action, Harassment Free and Respectful Workplace and Duty to Accommodate Injury and Disability policies.
- Training initiatives, such as Living Well Together (ICAT), the Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace Awareness Module, the Working Mind, 2SLGBTQQIA+101: Inclusive Workplace Awareness training, Mitigating Unconscious Bias in the Workplace training and Equitable Workplace: Cultivating Attitudes of Anti-Racism and Allyship workshops.
- Funding initiatives, such as the Indigenous Development and Training Program, the Indigenous Career Gateway Program, the Building Capacity with Indigenous Governments Program and the Regional Recruitment Program.
- The GNWT Advisory Committee on Diversity and Inclusion provides advice to the Deputy Ministers’ Human Resources Committee on improving access for designated employment equity groups in the Public Service.
- The Indigenous Employee Advisory Committee provides strategic advice to the GNWT on strategies and approaches to attracting, recruiting, advancing and retaining Indigenous employees within the GNWT.
- The GNWT partnered with the Northern Mosaic Network (NMN) to develop and deliver 2SLGBTQQIA+ 101: Inclusive Workplace Awareness training
- Diversity & Inclusion Framework
- Diversity and Inclusion
- GNWT Advisory Committee on Diversity and Inclusion
- Living Well Together
For media requests, please contact:
Manager, Communications & Public Affairs
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
(867) 767-9168 ext. 15015