The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has released the Government of the Northwest Territories Disability Action Plan 2018/19-2021/22. The Action Plan identifies key activities the government is doing to improve support for NWT residents with disabilities.
The Disability Action Plan focuses on five key objectives:
- Increase income security and reduce poverty
- Build awareness and knowledge through education and training
- Improve transition planning and options
- Encourage universal design and living options
- Improve access and quality of caregiver supports
A few examples of the actions committed to in the Disability Action Plan to help support persons with disabilities include: improving access to income assistance, developing a rent supplement program, increasing employment of persons with disabilities in the territorial government, a review of territorial supported living services and better access to rehabilitation supports for children with complex needs.
The Action Plan is part of the Department of Health and Social Services Disability Program Review and Renewal Project, which aims to ensure that effective supports and programs are in place for persons with disabilities.
Completing the Disability Action Plan was a mandate commitment of the 18th Legislative Assembly and helps to advance priorities set out in the NWT Disability Framework which was released in February 2018 along with the GNWT Programs and Services for Persons with Disabilities Inventory.
“This Disability Action Plan will ensure that persons with disabilities are able to engage as full citizens and take advantage of opportunities. We want to make meaningful and measurable change to reduce barriers for NWT residents with disabilities throughout their lives.”
- Glen Abernethy, Minister of Health and Social Services
- The Action Plan builds on the priorities established within Equity, Accessibility, Inclusion and Participation: NWT Disability Strategic Framework 2017-2027 which was released in February.
- This work was guided by the results of extensive engagement with our Non-Government Organization partners in the disability sector including: NWT Disabilities Council, Yellowknife Association for Community Living, Canadian National Institute for the Blind – Alberta/NWT, Hay River Committee for Persons with Disabilities, the NWT Seniors’ Society, and the Foster Family Coalition of the NWT.
- The GNWT will continue to engage our non-government partners over the course of implementation of the action plan to ensure outcomes for persons with disabilities are improved.
- The Action Plan was drafted in partnership with the GNWT departments of: Health and Social Services; Education, Culture and Employment; Justice; Finance; Municipal and Community Affairs; and the NWT Housing Corporation
- GNWT Disability Action Plan 2018/19 – 2021/22
- Equity, Accessibility, Inclusion, and Participation, NWT Disability Strategic Framework: 2017 to 2027.
- GNWT Programs and Services for Persons with Disabilities Inventory
- Government of the Northwest Territories Mandate Commitments
Manager of Communications
Department of Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories
1-867-767-9052 ext. 49034