The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is partnering with the Government of Canada to develop its next agriculture funding policy framework.
Through the Canadian Agricultural Partnership (CAP), the GNWT will host engagements on various platforms until March 31, 2022.
The next five-year national policy for agricultural funding in the Northwest Territories (NWT) is currently under development with agriculture partners and stakeholders and will contribute to realizing the vision and goals of the NWT Agriculture Strategy.
NWT residents are invited to provide feedback through the Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment (ITI), with an online survey, ideas board, or email available on ITI’s Have Your Say webpage until March 31, 2022.
The input collected through this survey will feed into the next policy framework development process, informing agriculture partners on priorities to be considered in the 2023-2028 federal funding policy framework.
If participants would like to provide feedback by phone, or for additional information, they can call 867-445-1427.
“As we continue to explore opportunities and support economic diversification in the NWT, agriculture is emerging as a quickly developing industry with enormous possibilities. The planned engagements are an important exercise to include the voices of NWT stakeholders at a national level to ensure the sector is supported and continues to grow.”
-Caroline Wawzonek, Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment
- The Canadian Agricultural Partnership (2018) is a 5-year, $1.2M annual funding program with the Government of Canada. Funding is 60:40 split with the federal contribution of $736,000 and the GNWT contribution of $488,000.
- There is currently $100,000 remaining for 2021-2022 projects:
- Applications are being accepted for all programs including: Market Development Program, Agriculture Training Program, Agriculture and Agri-Food Research Program, Food Safety Program, Agriculture and the Environment Program, Agriculture Awareness Program and the Small-Scale Foods Program
- Eligible recipients include NWT businesses, residents, organizations and governments working in agriculture (specific requirements are program-based as detailed in the program guide):
- Applicants are encouraged to apply for 2-year projects (spanning fiscal years 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 ending in March 2023)
- Support for project development can be provided by regional ITI Business Development Officers or the Agriculture and Commercial Food Development Analyst.
- There are commercial agriculture projects in every region of the NWT, providing jobs, training and fresh food for residents.
- Northwest Territories Agriculture Strategy (2017-2022)
- Canadian Agricultural Partnership (2018-2023)
Media Requests, please contact:
Assistant Director, Strategic Communications
Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment
Government of the Northwest Territories
(867) 767-9202 ext. 63039