As part of its commitment to building a health system where cultural safety and relationship-based care is at the heart of everything it does, the Government of the Northwest Territories, led by the Department of Health and Social Services released Health Care for Transgender, Non-Binary, and Gender Nonconforming People: Guidelines for the NWT. This document has been developed for use by health care providers.
A key component of the referral process outlined in the document eliminates the need for a psychiatrist to diagnose an NWT patient with gender dysphoria, which used to be a common requirement in Canada before an individual could obtain health care services. It is anticipated that the referral process, as set out in the Guidelines, will reduce lengthy wait times for these health care services.
These Guidelines were developed with the support of experts within the Department of Health and Social Services and a Workforce Diversity Officer from Human Resources, experienced primary care practitioners, patient advocates, and the Rainbow Coalition of Yellowknife.
“These guidelines were developed to help NWT health care providers better serve transgender, non-binary, and gender nonconforming individuals through the establishment of a clear referral process for accessing health care services. This change is part of our commitment to embed cultural safety and relationship-based care in the Health and Social Services system,”
- Julie Green, Minister of Health and Social Services
- The Guidelines were presented to physicians during their grand round and disseminated to nurses and other health care providers.
- The Guidelines will be updated on an as and when basis to ensure they reflect emerging changes in transgender, non-binary, and gender nonconforming health care.
- Health Care for Transgender, Non-Binary, and Gender Nonconforming People: Guidelines for the Northwest Territories
- Cultural Safety Information
Media Requests, please contact:
Manager of Communications
Department of Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories