The Minister of Health and Social Services announced today that the Northwest Territories Health and Social Service Authority (NTHSSA), the Hay River Health and Social Services Authority (HRHSSA) and the Tlicho Community Services Agency (TCSA) all received accreditation status from Accreditation Canada.
System accreditation is an important and major milestone for our health and social services system. It signals that our system meets fundamental national standards of practice, policies and programs.
Our commitment to high quality health care should reassure residents that they are receiving care and services to national standards.
Accreditation is an intensive and ongoing process that assesses health and social services systems organizations against standards of excellence to identify what is being done well, and where they can improve. This process helps create better services for all, and it allows our organization to better understand how to use resources, increase efficiency, enhance quality and safety and reduce risk.
“I am very pleased with our Health Authorities for receiving and maintaining their accreditation status. This milestone is a testament to the hard work our Health care professionals provide daily, should reassure residents that they are receiving care and services to national standards.
-Diane Thom, Minister of Health and Social Services
· The NTHSSA received a 97% compliance rate, HRHSSA received 88% compliance rate and TCSA received 98% compliance rate with Accreditation Canada Standards.
· The 2019 Accreditation survey is the very first assessment completed of all health and social services in the Northwest Territories.
· More than 1,000 health and social service organizations and 7,000 sites in Canada and around the world have been accredited through Accreditation Canada.
· Accreditation surveys and site visits were completed in late 2019. Surveys and visits review programs and services against national set standards of excellence from Accreditation Canada and the Health Standards Organization.
· The NTHSSA and the HRHSSA is now accredited until December 2023. The TCSA is accredited until October 2023.
Manager of Communications
Department of Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories
Director of Communications and Public Affairs
HSO and Accreditation Canada
613-738-3800 ext. 425