The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is extending the Wage Top Up Program to August 31st, 2021. To support low-wage workers during the Covid-19 pandemic, the GNWT has implemented the Wage Top-Up Program to provide temporary financial assistance to NWT workers aged 15 or over and earning less than $18 per hour.
Workers earning an hourly wage between $13.46 and $17.99 have their wage topped up to $18.00 per hour. Businesses have been asked to provide the top-up to their eligible employees on behalf of the GNWT. In return the GNWT compensates the employer for participating in the program and covers the employer CPP and EI expenses relating to the top-up.
If an employer chooses not to participate in the program, employees can apply directly.
The program was originally introduced as a short-term measure to cover April 1st, 2020 to July 31, 2020. The program was extended three times and is now set to continue until August 31, 2021.
- As the end of February 2021:
- Total cost of the program was $2,670,079 including employee wage top-up, employer EI and CPP and $50 per employee compensation fee.
- There are 96 participating businesses.
- 2,337 individuals have benefitted from the program.
- The Wage Top-Up is a taxable benefit for employees.
Media Requests, please contact:
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories