Financial Support and Donating

Back to Public Safety Page


Disaster Financial Assistance

  • NWT Individuals, small businesses, non-profit organizations, and community governments impacted by widespread damage due to the 2023 Wildfire Disaster may be eligible for Disaster Financial Assistance.
  • The GNWT recognizes the immense stress that residents, businesses, and community officials are under due to the Territorial State of Emergency that was declared on August 15, 2023, and particularly those impacted by this year’s unprecedented wildfire situation.
  • Disaster assistance will not cover all costs associated with a disaster in the NWT, but will provide compensation for essential needs where private insurance does not. A maximum of $240,000 is available per claim.
  • Find out if you're eligible and learn how to apply:

Community Government Hosting Evacuees Grant 

  • The Community Government Hosting Evacuees Grant provides financial assistance to eligible community governments that host evacuees outside of a designated Evacuation/Reception Centre. 

  • To be eligible for the grant, community governments must host 10 or more registered evacuees. 

  • Funding starts at $20,000 and is capped at $40,000, and is based on total evacuees hosted. 

  • Funding can be requested after an evacuation order has been in place for seven or more days. 

Evacuee Income Disruption Support Program 

  • The Evacuee Income Disruption Support program assists individuals who have lost employment income due to extended evacuation periods. 

  • Provides financial support to adults 17+ whose employment has been disrupted by an evacuation lasting more than seven days. 

  • Eligible residents can receive a one-time payment of $750. 

  • Previously, residents were only eligible for the EIDS program if they did not receive any financial support from their employer. The eligibility criteria have been updated so that funding is available to all residents 17 and older who lost income due to evacuation, regardless of whether they received financial support from their employer.

  • Apply Online or download the Evacuee Income Disruption Support program application . Completed applications can be sent to

Evacuation Travel Support Program 

The GNWT has updated the online application form for the Evacuation Travel Support Program and is developing an additional resource to respond to some of the most frequently asked questions from residents.

The FAQ will be added to this page as soon as it is available.

  • The Evacuation Travel Support Program is available to NWT residents who, by order, evacuated their home community because of the 2023 wildfires. Eligible individuals who evacuated by vehicle will be provided with a one-time direct deposit as follows:
    1. $750 per vehicle evacuated to a southern jurisdiction; or
    2. $400 per vehicle evacuated within the NWT
  • To apply, please visit:
  • Evacuees who left by road but need to return by air will be eligible to register for organized re-entry flights paid for by the GNWT. Details on how to register will come at a later date as re-entry planning progresses.

Business Relief 

Support for Entrepreneurs and Economic Development (SEED)

  • If your business has been affected by wildfire evacuations you may be eligible for relief funding through the Support for Entrepreneurs and Economic Development (SEED) Policy.
    • SEED funding has been expanded to allow for contributions of up to $5,000 to offset operational costs incurred by wildfire-affected businesses.
    • Applications for costs incurred from May 2023 onward will be accepted and must be supported by receipts or equivalent proof.
  • Businesses that have already received funding for wildfire relief under the SEED Policy can receive up to the $5,000 funding limit if they can continue to meet the program criteria required. These supports are temporary additions to SEED and will be accessible until March 31, 2024.
  • Application and eligibility information can be found on the Operational Support for Businesses Affected by Wildfire Evacuation funding page

Wildfire Assistance and Relief Measures (WARM)

The Northwest Territories Business Development and Investment Corporation (BDIC) is offering wildfire-affected businesses in the NWT up to $5,000 under its Wildfire Assistance and Relief Measures (WARM) initiative. Learn more at

  • WARM contribution funding can support businesses with:
    • maintaining or creating employment;
    • reduction of existing fixed overhead costs;
    • clean-up and restoration of business operations to pre-evacuation conditions or levels;
    • planning or providing training and assistance (including professional fees) to help businesses access insurance and cover business insurance deductibles; and/or
    • developing or updating business/continuity plans

Income Assistance 

If you are an Income Assistance recipient and were evacuated from Enterprise, Fort Smith, Hay River, Kátł’odeeche First Nation, N'Dilo, Dettah or Yellowknife, you do not need to reapply for Income Assistance for September 2023.

  • This payment will be automatically made to you.
  • Clients from communities that have not been evacuated, will still need to submit the monthly reporting form and supporting documentation.

If you are an Income Assistance client from a community that has evacuated, any income and/or donations received through Indigenous Governments, family, friends or other organizations during the evacuation period will be exempted and not counted in your next assessment. We recognize that this is a difficult time for all residents and hope this may ease some of the financial hardship. For more information visit: Financial Support and Donating | Government of Northwest Territories

South Slave – Enterprise, Fort Smith, Hay River, Kátł’odeeche First Nation 

  • If you are experiencing financial difficulties and would like to speak to someone about applying for Income Assistance, call the Sahtu ECE Regional Service Centre at 1-866-814-9840 extension 6 to speak with a Client Services Officer. Please leave a message if you are not able to reach a Client Services Officer.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties and would like to speak to someone about applying for Income Assistance, please contact your regional ECE service centre: ECE Service Centres | Education, Culture and Employment (

Licensed Early Learning and Child Care programs

Funding for children 5 years old and under in licensed early learning and child care programs

  • The GNWT will be offering fee based licensed early learning and child care providers from evacuated communities with 100% of the Child Care Fee Reduction (CCFR) subsidy for the month of September 2023.
  • Licensed programs that accept 100% of the CCFR subsidy will not charge child care fees to families and centre based programs will continue to pay their staff wages. If families have already paid their September fees, this may look like either a reimbursement or the funds can be applied to future child care fees once the evacuation order has ended. Please be patient with licensed programs as they work to make these arrangements away from home.

Funding for children 6-11 years old in licensed early learning and child care programs

  • If you have a child between the ages of 6-11 years old who attends a licensed early learning and child care program in a community affected by an evacuation order in September, new funding has been provided to cover September fees.
  • The Department of Education, Culture and Employment distributed additional funding to ensure this age group receives support. Funding will be provided from the Department to licensed programs (including centre-based programs, and family day homes). Families do not need to apply for it. If you have already paid your September fees, you may be refunded or you may see this funding applied to the month of October. Please be patient with programs as they work to make these arrangements.

Funding for licensed programs


  • Many home insurance policies will cover costs associated with evacuations, usually up to 72 hours. Your policy may vary, so contact your home insurance provider to see what is covered.
  • Most home and tenant insurance policies also include coverage for additional living expenses to cover the cost of hotel/lodging and other living expenses like food and laundry if you are unable to return to your home due to wildfire or a mandatory evacuation order.


  • Monetary donations are being accepted by United Way NWT.
  • Right now Alberta communities who are supporting evacuees do not have the capacity to manage in-kind donations. Please send any donations to the United Way NWT rather than directly to host communities.
  • United Way NWT is unable to provide funding directly to individuals. If you are an evacuee and need financial support, please visit a local reception centre or visit this page regularly. It will be kept up to date with information about financial support programs.
  • For donations to support pets of evacuees: