The Summer Student Employment Program (SSEP) opens annually on the career website on November 1 and runs through the end of August.
How to Apply for Summer Students positions:
- Register with the SSEP through the job posting on the GNWT careers site between November 1 and August 15.
- Submit your cover letter and current resume as one document through the job posting. You will know your submission was successful when you receive an auto-reply to your email.
- Send proof of post-secondary institution registration and applicable Affirmative Action Status, as defined in the GNWT Affirmative Action Policy, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you are successfully registered for the program, you will receive a second notification.
- You will be contacted by a hiring department if a potential match is found.
Students are encouraged to be proactive in their search for employment with the GNWT by networking with departments related to their field of study. You can research the GNWT to find departments with units and divisions related to your field of study. Approach managers directly, indicating you are interested in working for their department. Hiring is based on the individual needs of departments, boards and agencies, so managers will contact students directly if an opportunity arises.
Students interested in the SSEP must reapply each summer if they wish to be considered for employment under the program.
Your cover letter and resume MUST INCLUDE the following information to be considered:
- Your field of study (Education), type of certification (Diploma/Degree) and the number of years you have completed in your program.
- Your updated contact information including your email address, phone number and address at school AND your permanent NORTHERN residence address.
- Your home community and the communities you are willing to work in for the summer.
- Your Affirmative Action status, as defined in the GNWT Affirmative Action Policy, if applicable.