Hunting Licence for NWT residents
In this section
You need a resident hunting licence (RES) if you are a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant who has been living in the NWT for 12 continuous months.
Fees for a resident hunting licence are charged for the tag, and vary by species of game. For more information, view the Wildlife Fees Regulations.
Available in person from your local or regional ECC Office.
The information in this section is intended as an overview.
There are different types of licences required to harvest in the NWT, depending on where you live, what game you are after, and whether you are an Aboriginal harvester.
Additional permission, permits or licences may be required, depending on where you live, what you plan to hunt, and what you intend to do with your harvest.
For more detailed information, see:
- Important information for hunters
- Wildlife Act and relevant regulations
- Summary of Hunting Regulations (Hunting Guide)
- Special harvester licence fact sheet
- Harvesting wildlife on private lands fact sheet
- Exporting wildlife from the NWT fact sheet
- Your local or regional Environment and Climate Change office.