Apply for a hunting licence

Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit

Who needs this licence?

If you intend to hunt migratory game birds in the NWT, you need a valid federal Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit (or ePermit) with an affixed or printed image of a Canadian Wildlife Habitat Conservation stamp.

Hunting of migratory birds in Canada is regulated by Environment Canada under the Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994 and Regulations.

Please verify the provincial/territorial regulations pertaining to hunting and the carrying of firearms for the province/territory where you will be hunting.

How much does it cost?

The fees for this permit are currently under review.

Revenues from the sale of the Canadian Wildlife Habitat Conservation Stamp, which is affixed to the permit, are dedicated to conserving habitat.

Where can I get it?

Canadian and international hunters can purchase Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permits online and print them from home. Permits are also available for purchase at Canada Post outlets. If you have any questions about the availability of Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permits at a postal outlet, contact Canada Post customer service at 1-866-607-6301.

For more information, contact the Environment and Climate Change Canada Inquiry Center at 1-855-869-8670, by email or visit the Environment and Climate Change Canada website.

Where can I find more detailed information?

The information in this section is intended as an overview.

There are different types of licences required to harvest in the NWT, depending on where you live, what game you are after, and whether you are an Aboriginal harvester.

Additional permission, permits or licences may be required, depending on where you live, what you plan to hunt, and what you intend to do with your harvest.  

For more detailed information, see: