Fort Resolution sits at the end of the Fort Resolution Highway at the mouth of the Slave River on Great Slave Lake. Fort Resolution is the oldest continuously occupied community in the Northwest Territories and today has almost 500 residents. The community was founded in 1791 when the North West Company began trading furs in the area. Today, Fort Resolution has year round road access as well as air service through Hay River.
The community has classes for children starting in Junior Kindergarten through to Grade 12 at Deninu School. In June 2018, the community celebrated the grand opening of the new Health and Social Services Centre.